Wednesday, February 4, 2015

PRIVILEGE,---MUCH IN THE NEWS, OF LATE.

      Privilege: a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group.

     Note: ( J.B.) Did we as a nation not try this already? When civil service tests one group could score 10-20% lower that another group yet they got hired first? Or how about the forced school busing, how did all that work out?  There is an OLD saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink it."  Whatever happened to personal responsibility? OK OK back to the author...

     Recent events in the U.S. have caused the term Privilege to be used a lot in the media reports of late. Statements from leaders of various ethnic groups mention Privilege. Those who have been made to feel that they have less worth than other groups in society are talking about privilege.
     I have to be honest: I represent on of those "Privileged" groups, being born into this group, I can't help it, and I will die this color as well.

Note: (J.B.) As a school boy I was always on the tall [for my age] and very thin, now at 73 and 6:2 with 270 pounds, none call me what I used to hear all the time up to about 16 years old. I well remember the words, I loathed, "carcass", "bag of Bones" , "dead boy walking" , that usually ended with we getting beat up! At 14 I was 6:2 and 135 lbs. I used to say I need to stand twice to make a shadow! The harassment stopped as I filled out, and funny thing, so did the beatings! Oh, I well remember how angry and bitter I was, but I learned a long time ago, those feeling never hurt anyone but me! So I became the best student I was able, so I have always been able to make a decent living, because let's be honest, "Knowledge is the ONLY thing none can take from you, and the Government can tax it, only thing they can tax are the wages you earn!"
    If you are in school, study and learn knowledge that is relevant, so you can be productive, and knowledge coupled with skills, is and always shall be in high demand!
    Jeremiah 13:23  "Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots? then may ye also do good, that are accustomed to do evil."

   I was discussing this with a close friend and colleague, and his comments made me stop and think. He shared how these events [death by police] brought back memories of being called names as a boy because how he looked, his family's ethnic background, the color of his skin. I couldn't relate, not even a little bit. And it bothered me. A lot.
    I have friends from many different ethnic and racial backgrounds, and  consider myself fortunate for having the vision to accept  people for who they are, and not what or how they look like. But I also have to be honest: At times I've let feelings of resentment and anger bubble to the surface. I have felt frustration when someone of a different ethnic group, a complete stranger, cuts me of in traffic, or violates my self-perceived personal space.
     I remember one time in my life that I felt completely out of place.
     I was gathering stories in Asia. My itinerary took me to Dhaka, Bangladesh, an immense city, one of the most densely populated cities in the world. One afternoon I decided to take a stroll up the street on which the compound where I stayed, was located. I may have been the only white person for miles. The sidewalk was tightly packed with men in long white robes, and women covered in black that showed only their eyes. I felt as if every eye was one me as I made my way along the path. My physical stature made me stand out head and shoulders above the crowd. part of me wanted to crawl into a hole and hide. For the first time in my life I felt uncomfortable about who I was.
      At that point my human nature took over, and I did what we should all do in these conditions: I smiled, I looked the person in the eye and smiled. The person smiled back! I was shocked, That's all it took. My smile showed my respect, and their smile told me I was welcome in their community. The rest of my walk was a joy.

    Here's another definition for Privilege: something to be regarded as a rare opportunity. As Christians, we should look at the world through rose-colored glasses, losing sight of all the different colors and focusing on the opportunities God places before us, {To share Christ's love with all others]
    Christ, {the Savior of us all, that accept Him]  accepts us AS WE ARE. He loves us and forgives us [the humble hearted requests] despite the mistakes we make, no matter the color of our skin, where we live, or where we were born, God made each one of us in to His image, and that should be something we ALL can be proud of!
    He is Black, Brown, Red, Yellow and white. His hair is is straight, curly, red or white or blond, perhaps even bald,[ though I doubt that}. In short, HE is the reflection of each one of us on earth! So, how can we respect and love Him and NOT respect  ALL those humans, He created?
 
   I am praying for those affected by the current turmoil on our streets, alleys, and homes of my homeland. I am also praying that my life will be the start of something new; that maybe I can be the spark of a wave of respect, acceptance and love in this world; that I accept the challenge of the privilege of being a child of the ONLY LIVING God; and that it all begins with me, not my neighbor.

     It starts with a smile as we accept the privilege and opportunity of being Christians.

Thanking Y O U for your time. Comments?  Questions?  John at servant@frontier.com

Need to learn m ore? Visit your Seventh-day Adventist Church, any Saturday/Sabbath AM 9-10. Jesus and Jesus only can fill the void in human life.

Other sites: www.blbn.org  www.amazingdiscoveries.org  www.servantsite@wordpress.com



No comments:

Post a Comment